Among collectors of Americana, much is made of the nation's folk art. The picture postcard is folk document. Studying them it is better to renounce sentimentality and nostalgia, that blurred vision which destroys the actuality of the past.
Walker Evans (1903-1975) photographer and educator
Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)essayist, poet and philosopher
Alphonse de Lamartine (1790-1869) poet, writer and statesman
Life is made up, not of great sacrifices or duties, but of little things, in which smiles, and kindnesses, and small obligations, given habitually, are what win and preserve the heart and secure comfort.
Humphrey Davy (1778-1829) chemist & inventor
More is required of public officials than slogans and handshakes and press releases. More is required. We must hold ourselves strictly accountable. We must provide the people with a vision of the future.
Barbara Jordon (1936-1996) attorney, politician, human rights activist
An original is a creation motivated by desire. Any reproduction of an originals motivated be necessity. It is marvelous that we are the only species that creates gratuitous forms. To create is divine, to reproduce is human.
Man Ray (1890-1976) artist
The corkscrew: a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.
notes on photos:
- from the exhibit walker evans and the picture postcard which was held at the metropolitian museum of art, march 2009
- a gathering of train enthusiasts sharing their miniature trains collections with the public at the penitentiary glen reservation, ohio fall 2008
- collection maintenance, the louvre, paris october 2005
- a collection of kitchen utensils, hancock shaker village, massachusetts, june 2007
- I am ashamed to admit that I am bit of a packrat, or would that be pack mouse? however, other than books, kitschy toys, and an enormous collection of photographs (most of which I've taken), the only other collection which is worthy of a mention is my button collection - maybe one of these days I'll find time to organized my books, photographs and buttons.
- in 1920 artist and collector katherine dreier joined with man ray and marcel duchamp to create a collective of dada and post-modern artists which they named the société anonyme, inc. this photo shows the artist that were part of the group from the traveling exhibit that visited the phillips collection, washington dc january 2007
- just a few of the thousands of corkscrews at the musée du tire-bouchon, ménerbes france, october 2005collective soul's 1995 song the world I know