in lieu of a card (which, of course, I neglected to get in the mail) I would like to celebrate with a little photo essay.
John Berger (b. 1926) art critic and novelist
Robert C. Dodds (1919-1989)minister and psychologist
Marge Piercy (b. 31 march 1936) novelist and poet
Love seems the swiftest, but it is the slowest of all growths. No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century.
Mark Twain (1835-1910) humorist, writer, lecturer
The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together.
Erma Bombeck (1927-1996) humorist and writer
happy anniversary mom and dad! maybe next year I'll get the card in the mail, in fact, I think I've had this card for a couple years now.....
notes on photos (with the exception of the last photo all pictures were transferred from film):
- rita & shan's wedding day, 31 march 1951 harwood mines, pennsylvania
- since there are what appears to be palm trees in the picture, I expect it was taken after their wedding. I don't think they traveled together outside of pennsylvania before getting married.
- my parents have always had a playful and passionate relationship. this picture was snapped sometime in the late 1970s, during my dad's mustache years - I really loved his mustache
- my folks 50th anniversary, march 31, 2001
- my parents with their 'kids' at my dad's 86th birthday celebration, august 2008
sinatra, one of my parents favorite entertainers, singing "love and marriage" the vid is from the 1958 movie 'indiscreet' starring ingrid bergman and cary grant